The Physician Payments Sunshine Act, which was part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), requires that data on payments and gifts made to physicians and teaching hospitals by medical device and pharmaceutical companies be publicly available on a searchable federal database, starting September 2014. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) oversees the release of these data, which have been collected since 2013, under what it is calling the "Open Payments Program." Beginning June 1, 2014, physicians and teaching hospital representatives can register on the CMS Enterprise Portal. Registration is a voluntary process, but only registered users will be able to dispute information reported by industry that they believe to be inaccurate or incomplete.
AAOS strongly encourages members to register and review your data.
Update: Industry is currently submitting data to the Open Payments system on payments or transfers of value made to physicians and teaching hospitals during 2015. When data submission ends, physicians and teaching hospitals are given 45 days to review and dispute records attributed to them. In order to review the data, physicians and teaching hospitals need to register in the Open Payments system. The review and dispute period will begin in April 2016 and last for 45 days. CMS will publish the 2015 payment data and updates to the 2013 and 2014 data on June 30, 2016.
- Sunshine Act Data Released, Advocacy Now, October 1, 2014
- September Sunshine Act Update, Advocacy Now, September 2, 2014
- CMS Extends Registration and Review Period, Advocacy Now, August 19, 2014
- Open Payments Review and Dispute Process, AAOS Now , August 2014
- Foggy Forecast for Sunshine Act, AAOS Now , July 2014
- Don't Get Burned by Sunshine Data, AAOS Now , June 2014
- Physician registration for CMS Open Payments program begins June 1, Advocacy Now, May 13, 2014
- Sunshine Act impacts reprints, Advocacy Now, March 4, 2014
- New Light on Industry Payments to Physicians, AAOS Now, January 2014
- Medical societies write HHS re: Sunshine Act, Advocacy Now, November 12, 2013
- Sunshine Act data collection begins, AAOS Now , August 2013
- What do you know about the Sunshine Act? AAOS Now , April 2013
- What the Sunshine Act brings to light, AAOS Now , March 2013