Clinical Practice Guidelines
Clinical Practice Guidelines are valuable tools that will allow you to advance the physician-patient communications process and enhance the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal conditions.
AAOS physician volunteer Work Groups develop Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines to serve as an educational tool based on an assessment of the current scientific and clinical information and accepted approaches to treatment.
AAOS Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPG)
Clinical Practice Guideline Progress Report
About AAOS Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Guideline FAQ
- Guideline Development Procedures and Processes
- Tools for Work Groups
- Search AAOS Now for Articles about Guidelines
Nominating a Topic for AAOS Guideline Development
- Any AAOS member may nominate a topic
- The AAOS Guidelines Oversight Committee will review all topic nominations on an annual basis. If your topic is selected you will be notified.
- Click here to submit a form to nominate a topic
- Specialty societies that wish to collaborate with AAOS, or that wish to use AAOS resources in preparing guidelines must use the AAOS methodology and processes for guideline development.
Understanding Guideline Language
Strength of Evidence
Two or more HIGH quality studies
1 HIGH or 2 MODERATE quality studies
Treatment X is an OPTION
1 MODERATE or 2 LOW quality studies
We are unable to recommend FOR OR AGAINST treatment X
1 LOW quality study, Contradictory studies, Lack of evidence (no studies)
In the absence of reliable Evidence, it is the opinion of the work group…*
Expert opinion (no studies)*
* For the work group to make a consensus-based recommendation, the recommendation must be supported by a rationale that follows specific rules.
Comments on Guidelines
- AAOS members are invited to submit comments regarding published guidelines (requires AAOS login)
AAOS Endorsing External Clinical Practice Guidelines
- AAOS Endorsed Guidelines
- Process for reviewing an external clinical practice guideline for endorsement
Other Clinical Practice Guideline Resources
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse is a resource for the public seeking evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- Information about performance and quality measures can be obtained from the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality
For non-evidence based AAOS statements please visit the web page for AAOS Position Statements.
For more information about Evidence-Based Medicine, please contact Leeaht Gross, MPH, Evidence-Based Medicine Coordinator, Department of Research and Scientific Affairs, at email@example.com.
Evidence Based Medicine (EBM)
Facts and Figures
- Musculoskeletal Diseases/Disorders
- Orthopaedic Practice in the U.S
- Burden of Musculoskeletal Diseases in the United States
- Musculoskeletal Procedures: Rates Per Year
Awards & Opportunities
Research Council & Committees
- Council on Research and Quality
- Appropriate Use Criteria
- Biological Implants
- Biomedical Engineering
- Evidence Based Practice
- Guidelines Oversight
- Patient Safety
- Research Development
Visit www.oref.org to learn how OREF has improved the way you practice.