Web Site Advertising and Sponsorship Policies for www.aaos.org
The purpose of this document is to define the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (collectively AAOS) policies regarding advertising and sponsorship for the AAOS member web site (www.aaos.org).
Advertising placed on the AAOS Internet site must be ethical, educational, and professional. AAOS reserves the right to reject advertising copy and materials. 'Advertorials' or other similar material is not acceptable. AAOS reserves the right to remove any advertisement placed on its Internet site at any time.
Acceptance of any advertisement does not indicate an endorsement by AAOS of the products or services promoted, the company, or the claims made. Advertisements on the AAOS Internet site may not use the AAOS seal, name, or imply involvement of the AAOS in the company or the product being promoted.
Sponsorship consists of grants in support of various subsections of the www.aaos.org web site. The AAOS recognizes each granting company for its philanthropy in a specific and consistent manner. No editorial statement or endorsement of any company or product is included as part of any sponsorship grant. All financial support of the web site must be provided with no expectations of the AAOS, other than providing the visibility to the company for providing the grant.
- The AAOS accepts advertising for selected landing pages linked to the AAOS home page. Currently, landing pages where advertising is allowed include:
- AAOS Now (www.aaosnow.org)
- AAOS Now Annual Meeting News (http://www.aaos.org/news/acadnews/acadnews.asp)
- AAOS.org Homepage (www.aaos.org)
- Annual Meeting (www.aaos.org/education/anmeet/anmeet.asp)
- Annual Meeting Abstract Submission (seasonal; URL to be determined)
- Annual Meeting Registration (http://www.aaos.org/education/anmeet/registration/register.asp)
- Continue to JAAOS Connection Page (www3.aaos.org/news/jaaos/jaaos.cfm)
- Find an Orthopaedist (http://www7.aaos.org/member/directory/search.aspx?directory=public)
- Member / Customer Login Page (https://ebus.aaos.org/default.aspx) [Skyscraper advertising only]
- Member Services (www.aaos.org/member/services.asp)
- News & Journals (www.aaos.org/news/news.asp)
- Physician Education (www.aaos.org/education/education.asp)
- Press Releases (www6.aaos.org/news/pemr/releases/index.cfm)
- Search Results Page(www3.aaos.org/search/search.asp) [Banner advertisment only]
- Store (www3.aaos.org/product/products.cfm)
- All advertisements, on any landing page, are located against the right border of the display (skyscraper ad) or at the top of the web page (banner ad) in the following sizes:
- 728 x 90 pixels (banner ad) (file size no larger than 40Kb)
- 468 x 60 pixels (banner ad) (file size no larger than 40Kb)
- 160 x 600 pixels (skyscraper ad) (file size no larger than 40Kb)
- 120 x 600 pixels (skyscraper ad) (file size no larger than 40Kb)
Advertisements in any other pixel arrangement are not acceptable.
Advertisements for any other screen placement are not acceptable.
- Any advertisement that allows the viewer/reader to click through to the advertiser's Internet site may link to the company's page advertising the same product. The advertising company must provide to the AAOS the Internet web address (URL) for linking. AAOS may choose to reject an advertisement if the target page is not acceptable.
- Any advertisement that allows the viewer/reader to click on the advertisement to link to the advertiser's Internet site requires that the word “Advertisement” be placed adjacent to the ad. AAOS is responsible for creating and inserting this notice. Further, the advertiser may not program the link to 'frame' any AAOS web site page. The link may provide for an additional opening of the computer user's Internet browser program.
- The company desiring to advertise on the AAOS Internet site is responsible for the computer programming (production) of the advertisement. AAOS will post the advertisement on the requested Internet page and provide the requesting company the opportunity to approve the placement of the advertisement.
- Advertisements placed on any AAOS Internet page may use a limited amount of animation or movement, but this animation or movement cannot loop endlessly. AAOS does not accept advertisements that 'pop-up' on the screen or are activated by a 'roll-over' of the computer mouse.
- Only JPEG, GIF, and Flash (.swf) computer file formats are acceptable.
- These advertising policies do not apply to the AAOS Orthopaedic Knowledge Online (OKO) Internet site, AAOS Your Orthopaedic Connection (YOC) Internet Site, AAOS OrthoPortal Internet Site, or AAOS Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Internet site. Advertising policies for these sites may differ.
- Cost of advertising on the AAOS Internet site is $65 per thousand times the ad is displayed, the minimum purchase being 25,000 displays. This rate applies to both run-of-site leaderboards (top of page ads) and run-of-site skyscrapers (right border ads).
- AAOS does not accept any advertisements on pages that contain content for which the AAOS provides CME credit or designated as involving orthopaedic surgeon education.
- The AAOS will not accept advertisements that, in the sole opinion of AAOS, make unsubstantiated claims of therapeutic benefit for a particular product(s). The AAOS may require an advertiser to provide valid, reliable scientific data to support any claims made in the advertisement.
- The AAOS will not accept advertisements regarding pharmaceuticals, biomaterials, or medical devices not cleared for marketing by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in the United States without a statement regarding the product's current FDA clearance status for the particular use described.
- The AAOS will not accept advertisements that include the photograph, picture, or likeness of a specific physician(s) or that includes an endorsement by a specific physician(s) on the AAOS web site.
- The sponsors or advertisers agree to indemnify and hold the AAOS, its officers, directors, employees, contractors, and agents, harmless against any and all damages, claims, judgments, losses, costs, and expenses (including attorneys' fees) that may be incurred, suffered, or sustained or imposed on the AAOS, its officers, directors, employees, contractors, and agents, by reason of the sponsorship or advertisement.
- The AAOS does not accept advertising for the following:
- Annual meetings, symposia, seminars, or CME courses
- Medical publishers
- Internet sites
- Attorneys-at-law or a legal practice
- Orthopaedic surgeons or orthopaedic practices
- Medical expert witnesses
- Other notices that name specific orthopaedic surgeons or practices or link to information about specific orthopaedic surgeons or practices
- Inquiries related to the purchase of online advertising space should be directed to:
Pharmaceutical Media, Inc.
30 East 33rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Val Torres Joann Mitchell (212)904-0375 (212)904-0364 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions regarding AAOS policies should be directed to the AAOS Director, Information Services and Member & Customer Relations, James Ogle (Ogle@aaos.org).
- The AAOS accepts sponsorship grants for any landing page linked from the home page. Sponsorship of the home page (www.aaos.org) is not permitted.
- The AAOS recognizes all sponsorship grants with the following specific statement:
<Company Name> has provided the AAOS with an unrestricted grant in support of the <insert site descriptive name> site. AAOS recognizes <Company Name> for its support of this online activity.
- The AAOS attribution statement will include a copy of the granting company's logo and this logo graphic will be programmed as a hyperlink to the granting company's Internet site home page. AAOS will program the hyperlink.
- Any sponsorship attribution that allows the viewer/reader to click on the link to the sponsor's Internet site requires an intermediate (buffer) page that notifies the viewer/reader that he is leaving the AAOS web site. AAOS will prepare and insert this notice. The link may provide for an additional opening of the computer user's Internet browser program.
- If AAOS receives a grant for a specific program or project, the AAOS provides the granting company attribution on the Internet page for the specific activity.
- Sponsorship grants are established for the following amounts and time periods.
|Location||Up to 12 Months||Each Additional Year|
- Grants to AAOS are made through the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF) which retains an administrative fee for this service. AAOS reserves the right to share a portion of the grant proceeds with OREF for grants in support of orthopaedic research. Payment schedules for grants made in support of the AAOS Internet are negotiable.
- Placement of sponsorship recognition is limited to landing pages. AAOS does not recognize sponsorship grants on pages in which orthopaedic content or other program content is displayed.
- In the event AAOS receives a sponsorship grant for a landing page, AAOS will not accept advertising for the page.
- In the event that a company desires to provide a sponsorship grant for an AAOS landing page on which advertising is already in place, the grant acceptance date and recognition for the grant is made following expiration of the advertising.
Approved by the AAOS Board of Directors on 9/23/2011
About the AAOS
- Mission Statement
- Membership Data
- Board of Directors
- Board of Councilors
- Board of Specialty Societies
- Senior Management
- Specialty Societies
- International Contacts
AAOS Opinion Statements
- Standards of Professionalism
- Position Statements
- Opinion on Ethics and Professionalism
- Information Statements