Three scientific exhibits win Award of Excellence
The 2009 Annual Meeting features 88 Scientific Exhibits, which can be viewed in Hall D. All the exhibits present valuable information and are well worth visiting. But according to the Exhibits Committee, three are stand-outs.
Committee members Lynn A. Crosby, MD, chair; J. David Blaha, MD; A. Seth Greenwald, DPhil (Oxon); Michael H. Huo, MD; Alfonso Mejia, MD; Michael P. Mott, MD; David L. Nelson, MD; Martin Plotkin, MD; William H. Seitz Jr, MD, and Jeffrey L. Visotsky, MD, viewed each exhibit on Wednesday. Exhibits were evaluated based on the following criteria:
- medical or scientific contribution
- clarity of content
- educational value
- use of graphics
- legibility and design
- overall design
The following three Scientific Exhibits were chosen by the committee to receive the Award of Excellence:
- SE33: Locally delivered bisphosphonate for enhancement of bone formation and implant fixation, presented by J. Dennis Bobyn, PhD, with co-authors Michael Tanzer, MD; Kimberly McKenzie, BSc; Dorota Karabasz, RN; and Jan J. Krygier, CET. See story on page 14 for more about this winning exhibit.
- SE66: Osteoporosis disease management: What every orthopaedic surgeon should know, presented by Richard M. Dell, MD, with co-authors Denise Greene, RNP; Kathy Williams, MSG; and David V. Anderson, MD. This exhibit addresses some of the recent improvements in osteoporosis management and the role of the orthopaedic surgeon in osteoporosis management.
- SE50: Orthopaedic journal publications and their role in the preparation for the Orthopaedic In-Training Exam (OITE), presented by David R. Marker, BS, with co-authors Dawn LaPorte, MD; Thorsten M. Seyler, MD; Mike S. McGrath, MD; Slif D. Ulrich, MD; and Michael A. Mont, MD. This exhibit makes the case that focusing on core journals rather than subspecialty journals is recommended for residents preparing for the OITE.
Additionally, approximately 20 of the top Scientific Exhibits were selected for possible inclusion in a fall 2009 supplement to The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.
More than 200 abstracts were submitted online for the 75th Annual Meeting, including 10 AAOS Committee exhibits and 7 Board of Specialty Societies exhibits.
2009 Annual Meeting News
Wednesday through Saturday, February 25 – 28, 2009.
Search AAOS Now
- AAOS Now
- Current Issue
- AAOS Now ePub Edition
- Editorial Information
- Writers' Guidelines
(To view in Chrome download Google add-in for RSS feeds)
- Twitter Feed
- News in 10
- The Annual Meeting Daily Edition of the AAOS NOW in Las Vegas
S. Terry Canale, MD
E-mail the Editor