Research and Scientific Affairs
The Research and Scientific Affairs Department collects, analyzes, and disseminates scientific data and information for members, AAOS staff, and external organizations to support the mission of the Academy. The department also supports the AAOS Council on Research and Quality and its associated committees and activities.
OrthoGuidelines.org is now live!
OrthoGuidelines brings all of the AAOS CPGs into one interactive platform. The site uses responsive technology, making it easy to use on any device. The new platform transforms AAOS CPGs from static PDF documents to searchable, sortable, and comparable documents. With keyword searches, users can now search all CPGs for any recommendation containing a keyword. Users can also sort recommendations by topic, stage of care, or recommendation strength.
AAOS EBM Newsletter
Check out the AAOS Evidence-Based Medicine Newsletter for up to date information on AAOS CPGs, AUCs, and SRs. To be added to the mailing list, send ‘subscribe’ to email@example.com.
CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS
• Performance Measures: Thank you for your interest in joining an AAOS Performance Measures Workgroup. The application process for the 2015 Performance Measure Development Workgroups has closed. Learn more about AAOS Performance Measure Development at: www.aaos.org/measures.
Recent Guidelines and AUCs
The Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPG) on Management of Hip Fractures in the Elderly, Detection and Nonoperative Management of Pediatric Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH) in Infants Up to 6 Months of Age, and Management of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries were approved by the AAOS Board of Directors at their meeting on September 5, 2014. The AAOS Board of Directors also approved the Appropriate Use Criteria (AUC) for the Management of Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures. Please use the following links to access the full documents:
- CPG on Management of Hip Fractures in the Elderly (PDF)
- Summary and Case Study to published in the February issue of JAAOS
- CPG on Detection and Nonoperative Management of Pediatric Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip in Infants up to Six Months of Age (PDF)
- Summary and Case Study to published in the March issue of JAAOS
- CPG on Management of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries (PDF)
- Summary and Case Study to published in the April issue of JAAOS
- Appropriate Use Criteria for Pediatric Supracondylar Humerus Fractures
Recent and Upcoming Programs
- View all Research Symposia
- Research Capitol Hill Days
- AAOS/ORS/OREF Clinician Scientist Development Program
Resources for Specialty Societies
The AAOS Department of Research and Scientific Affairs has created a chart detailing the tools and resources currently available to facilitate research and quality activities within the Specialty Societies.
Evidence Based Medicine
- Evidence Based Medicine Information
- Appropriate Use Criteria
- Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Clinical Performance Measures
- Outcomes Instruments and Information
Awards & Opportunities
Research Council & Committees
- Council on Research and Quality
- Biological Implants
- Biomedical Engineering
- Performance Measures
- Evidence-Based Quality and Value
- Patient Safety
- Research Development
Visit www.oref.org to learn how OREF has improved the way you practice.