- New officers of the Cervical Spine Research Society (CSRS): Todd J. Albert, MD, president; Thomas A. Zdeblick, MD, past-president; John G. Heller, MD, president-elect; Sanford E. Emery, MD, MBA, vice president; Alan S. Hilibrand, MD, treasurer; and Bruce V. Darden II, MD, secretary.
- New officers of the J. Robert Gladden Orthopaedic Society: Charles L. Nelson, MD, president; James A. Hill, MD, past-president; Alvin H. Crawford, MD, vice-president; Melvyn A. Harrington, MD, secretary; and Eleby R. Washington, MD, treasurer.
- Freddie H. Fu, MD, who was named president of the International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine.
- Jesse B. Jupiter, MD, who was awarded the American Orthopaedic Association’s Distinguished Clinician Educator Award.
- Cato T. Laurencin, MD, PhD, who was awarded the 2009 Pierre Galletti Award from the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering.
- Benedict Magsamen, MD; Joseph E. Sheppard, MD; and David Spiegel, MD, recipients of the Golden Apple Award from Health Volunteers Overseas, in recognition of their extraordinary educational contributions to international program sites.
- Timothy M. Wright, PhD, who addressed the InMotion Musculoskeletal Institute on “Improving the performance of elbow arthroplasty—an effort in translational research.”
- AAOS Chief Executive Officer Karen L. Hackett, FACHE, CAE, is the 2009 recipient of the Samuel B. Shapiro Award, presented by the Association Forum of Chicagoland to an association chief executive officer for outstanding service and accomplishments in association management.