- Andrew Gurman, MD, elected speaker of the American Medical Association House of Delegates.
- Joseph M. Lane, MD, recipient of the Hospital for Special Surgery’s Lifetime Achievement Award for his innovative research on bone disease and the use of bisphosphonates in treating osteoporosis.
- S. Terry Canale, MD, recipient of the 2011 Methodist Healthcare Foundation Living Award-Physician Inspiration in Faith and Health.
- New officers of The Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons: Mary I. O’Connor, MD, president; Edward G. McFarland, MD, first vice-president; Miguel A. Ayerza, MD, second vice-president; Marlene DeMaio, MD, secretary; Charles L. Saltzman, MD, treasurer; Xavier A. Duralde, MD, treasurer-elect; John H. Healey, MD, FACS, immediate past president; Christopher P. Beauchamp, MD, past president; Randall E. Marcus, MD, chair, CORR Board of Trustees; Michael J. Grecula, MD, member-at-large; David G. Lewallen, MD, editor’s representative; David B. Levine, MD, historian; Richard A. Brand, MD, editor-in-chief, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research.
- New officers of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine: Peter A. Indelicato, MD, president; Christopher D. Harner, MD, president-elect; Jo A. Hannafin, MD, PhD, vice-president; James P. Bradley, MD, secretary; Annunziato Amemdola, MD, treasurer; Matthew Provencher, MD, member-at-large; Marc R. Safran, MD, Council of Delegates chair (ex officio); Patricia A. Kolowich, MD, Medical Publishing Board of Trustees member-at-large.
- New members of the Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America board of directors: Peter M. Waters, MD, president; Peter O. Newton, MD, president-elect; Jack M. Flynn, MD, vice-president; Kenneth J. Noonan, MD, secretary; Frances A. Farley, MD, treasurer; Benjamin A. Alman, MD; Laurel C. Blakemore, MD; William G. Mackenzie, MD; Donald S. Bae, MD; and Jennifer M. Weiss, MD, members-at-large; Anthony A. Stans, MD, education council chair; Randall T. Loder, MD, communications council chair; Matthew Dobbs, MD, research council chair; Brian G. Smith, healthcare delivery council chair; Matthew J. Bueche, MD, historian; and James W. Roach, MD, and John P. Dormans, MD, past presidents.