- Seeing Patients: Unconscious Bias in Health Care by Augustus A. White III, MD, and David Chanoff, received a Highly Commended rating in the Basis of Medicine category at the 2011 BMA medical book awards.
- Thomas H. Mallory, MD, recipient of the Hip Society’s 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award
- Clyde L. Nash Jr, MD, MS, MedEd, recipient of the Sociolis Research Society’s 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award
- David D. Teuscher, MD, appointed to a 6-year term on the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
- New officers of the Scoliosis Research Society: B. Stephens Richards III, MD, president; Kamal N. Ibrahim, MD, president-elect; Steven D. Glassman, MD, vice president; Hubert Labelle, MD, secretary; Paul D. Sponseller, MD, treasurer; Lawrence G. Lenke, MD, past president.
- New officers of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand: W.P. Andrew Lee, MD, president; Edward Akelman, MD, president-elect; Arnold-Peter C. Weiss, MD, vice president; James Chang, MD, treasurer; Daniel J. Nagle, MD, past president; Brent Graham, MD, research division director; David S. Ruch, MD, practice division director; Alexander Y. Shin, MD, education division director; Michelle G. Carlson, MD; A. Bobby Chhabra, MD; Edward Diao, MD; Charles A. Goldfarb, MD; and Scott H. Kozin, MD, council members-at-large; Mark C. Anderson, FASAE, CAE, executive vice president and CEO.