On Nov. 4, 2015, the 2016 Nominating Committee, chaired by Past President John R. Tongue, MD, announced its slate of nominees. The release was timed to correspond to bylaw amendments adopted by the Fellowship after the 2010 Annual Meeting.
In addition to Dr. Tongue, the 2015 Nominating Committee included Timothy J. Bray, MD; Lawrence D. Dorr, MD; Thomas A. Einhorn, MD; John T. Gill, MD; Richard F. Kyle, MD; and Thomas P. Sculco, MD. The committee was charged with identifying, interviewing, and recommending candidates for the following offices: second vice-president, treasurer, member-at-large (age 45 or older), member-at-large (younger than age 45), National Membership Committee representative; and four nominees to the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS).
AAOS is indeed blessed with a number of highly qualified individuals willing to serve in a limited number of important leadership positions. The number of nominees for leadership positions this year remained high, with 54 individuals submitting information and allowing themselves to be considered for office.
After an expansive search process, the development of Plans for Active Management of Conflicts of Interest, and extensive discussion, the 2016 Nominating Committee recommended the following individuals to serve in the specified AAOS leadership positions:
- Second vice-president: David A. Halsey, MD (Vt.)
- Treasurer: M. Bradford Henley, MD, MBA (Wash.)
- Member-at-large (age 45 or older): Brian J. Galinat, MD, MBA (Del.)
- Member-at-large (under age 45): Robert H. Brophy, MD (Mo.)
- National Membership Committee representative: Michael Tanzer, MD (Quebec, Canada)
- Nominees to the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery: Frederick M. Azar, MD (Tenn.); Valerae O. Lewis, MD (Texas); Raj D. Rao, MD (Washington, D.C.); Robert D. Zura, MD (N.C.)
The AAOS Fellowship will have the opportunity to vote on these recommendations during the business meeting of the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons on Thursday, March 3, 2016, at 9:20 a.m. during the 2016 Annual Meeting in Orlando, Fla.
Richard N. Peterson, JD, is the AAOS General Counsel. He can be reached at email@example.com