The 2016 Annual Meeting featured more than 88 Scientific Exhibits presenting cutting-edge information on a wide range of orthopaedic topics. The Exhibits Committee, chaired by Joseph T. Moskal, MD, viewed each exhibit during the Annual Meeting and evaluated them based on the following criteria:
- medical or scientific contribution
- clarity of content
- educational value
- use of enhancements/audiovisual
- legibility/overall design
The following three Scientific Exhibits were chosen by the committee to receive the Award of Excellence:
- SE 41: Intrinsic Causes for Rotator Cuff Disease, presented by Usman Ali Syed, BS, with coauthors Daniel E. Davis, MD; Charles L. Getz, MD; Andrzej Fertala, PhD; and Joseph A. Abboud, MD.
- SE 13: Findings from a Specialized Knee Clinic for Painful Knee Arthroplasty—What Have We Learned? Presented by Michael Hirschmann, MD, with coauthors Helmut Rasch, MD; Niccolò Rotigliano, DMed; Anna Hirschmann, MD; Johann Henckel, MD; Alister Hart, FRCS; and Beat Hintermann, MD.
- SE 01: Revisiting Cemented Femoral Stem Use in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty, presented by John A. Scanelli, MD, with coauthors Ryan D. Scully, MD; and Matthew J. Wilson, FRCS (Ortho), MBBS.
Additionally, the following next highest graded Scientific Exhibits will be submitted for possible inclusion in the electronic edition of the Journal of the AAOS:
- SE 03: Advanced Arthroplasty Techniques for Acetabular Component Placement in Dysplastic Hips, presented by Amy Wasterlain, MD, with coauthors Nicole Wake, MS; Maxwell Weinberg, MD; and Jonathan Vigdorchik, MD.
- SE 04: Periacetabular Osteotomy for Symptomatic Acetabular Dysplasia: Contemporary Concepts, Techniques, and Outcomes, presented by Benjamin Coobs, MD, with coauthor John C. Clohisy, MD.
- SE 05: Pelvic Discontinuities Associated with Total Hip Arthroplasties: Evaluation, Treatment, and Results, presented by Matthew Abdel, MD, with coauthors Michael J. Taunton, MD; Rafael J. Sierra, MD; Robert T. Trousdale, MD; David G. Lewallen, MD; and Daniel J. Berry, MD.
- SE 15: Geometric Constraint of Total Knee Arthroplasty Designs: Addressing Patient Needs, presented by Edward Morra, MSME, with coauthor A. Seth Greenwald, DPhil Oxon.
- SE 16: LIMA: Lifetime Initiative for the Management of Arthritis (LIMA): Understanding Arthritis as a Disease State, presented by Richard Iorio, MD, with coauthors Alessandra Szulc, MA; Philip Band, PhD; Thomas A. Einhorn, MD; Joseph A. Bosco III, MD; Laith M. Jazrawi, MD; James D. Slover, MD; Raj Karia, MPH; and Joseph D. Zuckerman.
- SE 18: Gastrocnemius Rotational Flap as a Solution for Extensor Mechanism Deficiency in Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty, presented by Benjamin Frye, MD, with coauthors Matthew J. Dietz, MD; Elie S. Ghanem, MD; Thomas R. Bowen, MD; and Edgardo Parrilla, BS.
- SE 20: The Painful Total Knee Arthroplasty: Diagnosis and Treatment, presented by Umberto Cottino, with coauthors Federica Rosso, MD; Matteo Bruzzone, MD; Federico Dettoni, MD; Davide E. Bonasia, MD; Davide Blonna, MD; Antongiulio Marmotti, MD; and Roberto Rossi, MD.
- SE 28: Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America: Challenges of Pediatric Orthopedic Implant Design and Approval, presented by Matthew Halanski, MD, with coauthors Michael W. Shrader, MD; Michael G. Vitale, MD, MPH; and Brian Snyder, MD, PhD.
- SE 30: Algorithm of Decision Making and Surgical Approach in Treatment of Relapsed Congenital Clubfoot after Walking Age, presented by Francesco Traina, MD, with coauthors Cesare Faldini, MD; Matteo Nanni, MD; Ilaria Sanzarello, MD; Daniele Fabbri, MD; Raffaele Borghi, MD; Fabrizio Perna; Domenico Fenga, MD; and Sandro Giannini, MD.
- SE 32: Osteoporosis and the Orthopaedic Surgeon''s Role, presented by Arthur Manoli, MD, with coauthors Roy Davidovitch, MD; Nirmal C. Tejwani, MD; Frank A. Liporace, MD; Sanjit R. Konda, MD; and Kenneth A. Egol, MD.
- SE 49: Evidence-Based Approach to Rotator Cuff Rehabilitation after Repair, presented by Kenneth Chakour, MD, with coauthors Jason Somogyi, MD; Joseph B. Cohen, MD; Steven Jackson, PhD, PT; Jason L. Koh, MD; Jon J. Warner, MD; and Lewis L. Shi, MD.
- SE 51: Total Disc Arthroplasty: The Current and Future Use of an Evolving Technology in Spine Surgery, presented by Saqib Hasan, MD, with coauthors Karan S. Patel; Wesley Bronson, MD; William Ryan, BS; Themistocles S. Protopsaltis, MD; Jeffrey A. Goldstein, MD; and Thomas J. Errico, MD.
- SE 52: Inclusion of Asymptomatic Spondylotic Levels Decreased Revision Rates for Adjacent Segment Disease Following ACDF, presented by Zakk Walterscheid, BS, with coauthors Caleb J. Behrend, MD; Alan S. Hilibrand, MD; Jonathan J. Carmouche, MD; Conor O''Neill; Paul W. Millhouse, MD; Alexander Vaccaro, MD, PhD; and Todd J. Albert, MD, New York, New York
- SE 54: Novel Autograft Site in Anterior Cervical Discectomy/Fusion: A Multifaceted Description and Analysis, presented by Conor O''Neill, with coauthors Zakk Walterscheid, BS; Caleb J. Behrend, MD; and Jonathan J. Carmouche, MD.
- SE 75: Proximal Humerus Fractures: A Spectrum of Fixation and Reconstructive Techniques, presented by Bryan Saltzman, MD, with coauthors Brandon Erickson, MD; Joshua Harris, MD; Anil Gupta, MD, MBA; Mark A. Mighell, MD; and Anthony A. Romeo, MD.
- SE 77: Intramedullary Nailing of Subtrochanteric Femur Fractures: What to Do, What Not to Do, and How to be Efficient, presented by Abhishek Ganta, MD, with coauthors Richard S. Yoon, MD; Mark Gage, MD; Derek J. Donegan, MD; Nirmal C. Tejwani, MD; Toni M. McLaurin, MD; Joshua Langford, MD; George J. Haidukewych, MD; and Frank A. Liporace, MD.