AAOS president in 1972, died peacefully at his home in New York City on June 29. He was 96 years old. Recognized as an educator, leader, and innovator, Dr. Wilson introduced total hip replacement to the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) in 1967, and was a founding member of The Hip Society.
Dr. Wilson was born in Boston on Feb. 14, 1920, the son of a prominent surgeon. After graduating from Harvard College, he entered the Columbia College of Physicians & Surgeons. Following an 18-month general surgery internship and first year residency at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. Wilson spent 2 years on active duty at Brooke Army Medical Center, where he worked predominantly in the orthopaedic service. He later completed his orthopaedic residency at the HSS and fellowship training in trauma and biomechanics at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Wilson was appointed to the HSS staff in 1951, and served as the hospital's surgeon-in-chief from 1972 to 1989. During that time, he also held the position of director of resident training. Throughout his tenure, Dr. Wilson "was recognized not only for his surgical skill, wisdom, integrity, and sound judgment, but also for his compassion and thoughtfulness," wrote Todd J. Albert, MD, HSS surgeon-in-chief and medical director.