On Nov. 8, 2017, the 2018 Nominating Committee, chaired by Past President Frederick M. Azar, MD, announced its slate of nominees. The release was timed to correspond to bylaw amendments adopted by the Fellowship after the 2010 Annual Meeting.
In addition to Dr. Azar, the 2018 Nominating Committee included James H. Beaty, MD; Andrew R. Burgess, MD; Serena S. Hu, MD; Alexandra (Alexe) E. Page, MD; Alexander R. Vaccaro, MD, PhD, MBA; and Joseph D. Zuckerman, MD.
The committee was charged with identifying and recommending candidates for the following offices: Second vice-president, Treasurer-elect, Member-at-large (age 45 or older), Member-at-large (under age 45); and four nominees along with two alternate nominees to the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS).
AAOS is indeed blessed with a number of highly qualified individuals willing to serve in a limited number of important leadership positions. The number of nominees for leadership positions this year remained high, with 39 individuals submitting information and allowing themselves to be considered for office and 14 individuals submitting information to be considered for nomination to the ABOS Board of Directors.
After an expansive search process, the development of Plans for Active Management of conflicts of interest, and extensive discussion, the 2018 Nominating Committee recommended the following individuals to serve in the specified AAOS leadership positions:
- Second vice-president: Joseph A. Bosco, III, MD (N.Y.)
- Treasurer-elect: Alan S. Hilibrand, MD, MBA (Pa.)
- Member-at-large (age 45 or older): Elizabeth G. Matzkin, MD (Mass.)
- Member-at-large (under age 45): Thomas W. Throckmorton, MD (Tenn.)
- Nominees to the ABOS: Matthew B. Dobbs, MD (Mo.); Michael F. Fry, MD (Nev.); Kevin L. Garvin, MD (Neb.); William R. Martin, III, MD (Alaska); Donald H. Lee, MD – Alternate (Tenn.); Afshin Razi, MD – Alternate (N.Y.)
The AAOS Fellowship will have the opportunity to vote on these recommendations during the business meeting of the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons on Thursday, March 8, 2018, at 9:35 a.m. during the 2018 Annual Meeting in New Orleans.
Donna J. Malert, CAE, is director of governance at AAOS. She can be reached at email@example.com.