AAOS prohibits harassment or discrimination in any form by any person(s) attending or otherwise participating in AAOS-sponsored events, meetings, or social gatherings. AAOS is committed to providing an environment that is free from all forms of discrimination and harassment, including but not limited to those based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, marital status, status regarding public assistance, veteran or military service status, or any other legally protected status.
This AAOS policy sets the expectations for the behavior of all members, meeting attendees, guests, exhibitors, vendors, and suppliers (referred to as attendees) and applies to all AAOS activities, whether in person or virtual, including but not limited to during:
- the creation or delivery of work products on behalf of AAOS
- any AAOS business interaction
- meetings hosted by AAOS, including the Annual Meeting
- conferences, seminars, or courses
- any meeting of any AAOS entity, including the boards, committees, and subcommittees
- all ancillary or unofficial social events held in conjunction with any AAOS meeting
Discrimination or harassment by any person against another person, regardless of his/her role with AAOS, constitutes unacceptable behavior and will not be tolerated. Unacceptable behaviors may include:
- unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact
- verbal or written comments or visual images that are sexually suggestive; denigrate or show hostility or aversion toward an individual or group of individuals; create an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment; or unreasonably interfere with an individual’s ability to participate in AAOS activity
- intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning speech or actions in any context during an AAOS activity
- harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, age, appearance, or other personal characteristics
- deliberate intimidation, following, or stalking
- harassing photography or recording
- physical assault (including unwelcome touching or groping)
- real or implied threat of physical harm
- real or implied threat of personal, professional, or financial damage or harm
AAOS employees who are subjected to unacceptable behavior should report it immediately to their supervisor (or another person in their direct line of reporting) and Human Resources. AAOS will address any unacceptable behavior by AAOS employees in accordance with its Employment Policies.
AAOS reserves the right to take any action it deems appropriate against an attendee who engages in unacceptable behavior.
- When AAOS receives a complaint of unacceptable behavior by an attendee, the matter will be reviewed in a timely manner, taking into consideration the relevant facts and circumstances. The complainant and any parties involved may be asked to provide written statements.
- Any attendee found to have engaged in unacceptable behavior may be removed from the meeting or event (without refund) and/or excluded from future meetings.
- Any AAOS member behaving in an unacceptable manner may be subject to additional consequences, including but not limited to suspension or expulsion from AAOS membership.