AAOS is pleased to welcome Italy as the Guest Nation at the 2018 AAOS Annual Meeting in New Orleans next month. The orthopaedists of Italy are represented by the Società Italiana di Ortopedia e Traumatologia (SIOT).
"SIOT is honored to take part in the AAOS Guest Nation program," said Prof. Giuseppe Sessa, SIOT president. "We look forward to this exciting cultural meeting and exchange of ideas, as well as working with the AAOS on future projects."
Guido Marra, MD, AAOS International Committee chairman, is similarly enthusiastic.
"The AAOS is always happy to welcome Italian orthopaedists to our Annual Meeting—about 250 attend each year. They provide excellent scientific information, highlighted especially in the numerous high-quality submissions to our Orthopaedic Video Theater," Dr. Marra said.
"We are excited to take the next step to honor them as Guest Nation in New Orleans, sharing perspectives and practices to strengthen our exchange," he added.
Italy has a rich history of orthopaedics, dating back to Roman times and beyond.
The SIOT organization, which can trace its roots to 1891, today boasts nearly 5,000 members. The society maintains a focus on continual improvement of surgical technique and the expansion and quality improvement of orthopaedic centers and hospitals. As part of that mission, SIOT publishes two journals: Giornale Italiano di Ortopedia e Traumatologia, founded in 1974, and the English language, PubMed-indexed Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology.
The SIOT also holds an annual National Congress during which approximately 4,000 Italian orthopaedists from all over the country gather for 4 days of scientific exchange. The 2018 Congress will be held Nov. 9–12 in the city of Bari, situated on the Adriatic Sea in southern Italy's Puglia region.
Guest Nation Annual Meeting activities
During Annual Meeting, SIOT and Italian orthopaedics will be highlighted in the following special events:
- Symposium N—Orthopaedic Surgery of Pelvis–Controversies in Diagnostics and Treatment of Infections after Total Hip Arthroplasty: Determining the Optimal Moment for Reimplantation (Wednesday, March 7, 4–6 p.m.). During this symposium, moderated by SIOT President Prof. Sessa, eminent Italian and U.S. surgeons will provide different perspectives for reconstruction in pelvic fractures, infections, tumor, and bone loss.
- Guest Nation Posters—Scientific posters presenting research from Italian orthopaedists will be on display in Academy Hall throughout the meeting. Look for the Italian flag indicating the Guest Nation posters.
- Guest Nation Poster Presentations (Tuesday, March 6, and Thursday, March 8, 1:30–2:30 p.m.) —Dr. Alberto DiMartino and Prof. Vito Pavone will guide attendees through an exciting discussion of Italian posters.
- Your Academy 2018 (Thursday, March 8, 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.)—Italy will receive special recognition as the Guest Nation, and SIOT President Prof. Sessa will speak.
- Guest Nation Exhibit—Representatives from SIOT will be available to speak with attendees at the Guest Nation exhibit, located in Academy Hall B.
In addition, five videos from Italian surgeons have been named Orthopaedic Video Theater (OVT) award winners and will be featured in the OVT located in Academy Hall throughout the meeting. SIOT will also have a series of articles in the Annual Meeting Daily Editions of AAOS Now.
Amanda Decker is manager, AAOS international programs.
About the Guest Nation program
The Guest Nation Program was inaugurated in 2005 to foster greater recognition and awareness of the contributions made to the practice of orthopaedics by orthopaedic surgeons from around the globe and to enhance the robust international character and excitement of the AAOS Annual Meeting. Previous Guest Nation honorees have included Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Thailand, Mexico, Japan, Canada, France, China, Colombia, and India.
Support for the invitation-only Guest Nation reception is provided by LimaCorporate and Medacta.