Women's Health Advisory Board
Advocate, advance, and serve as a resource on sex and gender differences* in musculoskeletal health.
1. Comply with the Strategic Plan as adopted by the Board of Directors, and ensure that the organization-wide goals of unity and diversity are considered in all activities.
2. Promote awareness of, and research funding for, sex and gender differences* in musculoskeletal health, education, research, and treatment.
3. Identify and serve as a resource on the educational, research, clinical, social, economic, and workforce issues involving women's musculoskeletal health.
4. Monitor and respond to governmental directives related to women's musculoskeletal health.
5. Develop internal and external alliances with relevant groups to support the above goals.
6. Report at least annually to the AAOS Board of Directors.
*According to the Institute of Medicine, sexis the "classification of living things, generally male or female, according to their reproductive organs and functions assigned by the chromosomal complement," whereas genderis "a person's self-presentation as male or female, or how that person is responded to by social institutions on the basis of the individual's gender presentation."
Reports to Board of Directors, but serves as a resource for all AAOS bodies.
Six (6) members
One (1) member representing the Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society
One (1) member representing the ORS
One (1) member representing the J. Robert Gladden Society
One (1) liaison to Council on Advocacy
One (1) liaison to Council on Research and Quality
One (1) liaison to Communications Cabinet
One (1) Resident
Term of Office
For chair, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For members, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
Staff Liaison (title)
Manager, Research Advocacy
Last updated: 3/20/17