Mission Statement: Develop and maximize relationships with other healthcare stakeholders, including providers, federal government, private and public payers, and patient groups. Advocate federal, state and private payer policy. Develop agile education programs and resources to complement the delivery of affordable, quality musculoskeletal care in the changing healthcare environment.
Vision: The Health Care Systems Committee will be the present and future thought leader in orthopaedic / musculoskeletal care deliver
- Align all activities to support execution and achievement of the mission, vision, goals, strategic objectives, and metrics of the Strategic Plan and conduct all business in accordance with the Core Values as adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Review, monitor and analyze the evolving health care environment and trends that impact AAOS membership and orthopaedic surgery.
- Provide leadership within the AAOS on regulatory and advocacy issues where orthopaedic/musculoskeletal care.
- Engage with the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and other payers in areas where appropriate utilization and medical necessity is discussed.
- Develop agile educational programs, practical tools and resources for orthopaedic surgical/musculoskeletal care providers to complement the delivery of affordable, quality musculoskeletal care.
- Lead practice management education initiatives for residents, physicians, other orthopaedic providers, office administrators and office staff.
- Identify and develop education and resources to assist residents, Fellows and Candidate embers preparing for the administrative demands of today’s practice environment as they transition from training to practice.
- Establish relationships with other healthcare stakeholders, including payers (both government and private), hospitals, outpatient facilities, policymakers, and patient groups.
- Collaborate with the other AAOS Committees, Councils, and Board project teams.
- Collaborate new and manage existing position and information statements and contribute to AAOS editorial platforms.
Orthopaedic surgeons, orthopaedic practice management, leadership and staff
Advanced care practitioners/Mid-level providers
Allied health staff
Other key musculoskeletal care stakeholders to include:
- Other musculoskeletal care physicians and providers
- Hospital, ASC and other facility representatives
- Medical device and pharmaceutical industry representatives
- Representatives of prevention, training, therapy/rehabilitation and post-acute care services
Reports to the Advocacy Council
Section Leader – Practice and Payment
Section Leader – Quality Programs
Slotted Seat – Board of Specialty Societies
Slotted Seat – Board of Councilors
Two (2) members Health Information Technology (HIT)
Seven (7) Members-at-Large
Term of Office
For chair, two (2) years; eligible for reappointment for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For members, two (2) years; eligible for reappointment for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
Staff Liaison (title)
Manager, Practice Management Affairs
Last updated: 12/4/21