The Tipton Leadership Award recognizes AAOS Active Fellows or Candidate members who have demonstrated outstanding leadership qualities that have led to benefits for the orthopaedic community, patients and/or the American public.
This award is presented each year at the AAOS Annual Meeting. Recipients receive a $5,000 honorarium.
Candidates for the award will be evaluated for activities that include:
- A recognized leader among peers
- Reliability and dedication
- A commitment to growth and prestige of orthopaedics
- Significant accomplishments as a leader
- Values diversity and demonstrates it
- Fosters a win-win attitude
- Is an outstanding mentor
- Is a team player and builder
- Is committed to bridge building
Who is Eligible?
- Nominees must be an AAOS Active Fellow or Candidate Member eligible for Fellowship.
- Nominees must not have served on the Board of Directors, AAOS Awards Committee or former Membership and Leader Development Committee for the last three years.
Who May Nominate/Sponsor?
- Cannot be a member of the Board of Directors or AAOS Awards Committee
- Must be an AAOS Member; Resident members are eligible to nominate candidates, as well
Scott Beecher Scutchfield, MD, FAAOS, Honored with 2020 Tipton Leadership Award
Scott Scutchfield, MD, of Danville, KY, is the honoree of the fourteenth annual William W. Tipton, Jr, MD Leadership Award for his work as a mentor, educator, and leader.
Established by friends, colleagues, and partner organizations through AAOS and the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF), the Tipton Award honors the qualities exemplified by the late Dr. Tipton, including commitment to mentorship, diversity, bridge-building, and collaboration.
Scott Scutchfield, MD has been an active member in AAOS leadership for over 30 years. He served as a member of multiple AAOS committees and councils, including Chair of the AAOS Board of Councilors, Chair of the AAOS Bylaws Committee, and as a Leadership Fellows Program Mentor for four years. He also served as the Kentucky Orthopaedic Society President from 1990-1992, and as a Kentucky Medical Association delegate and Board Vice-Chair.
Dr. Scutchfield has participated and led humanitarian missions to multiple countries with his residents.
Previous William W. Tipton, Jr., MD, Leadership Award Winners
Dana C. Covey, MD, FAAOS
2019 William W. Tipton, Jr., MD, Leadership Award
Ramon Jimenez, MD, FAAOS
2018 William W. Tipton, Jr., MD, Leadership Award
William J. Robb, MD, FAAOS
2017 William W. Tipton, Jr., MD, Leadership Award