Now Accepting Active Fellow Membership Applications for the Class of 2022.
Deadline to Apply: May 31, 2021
Establish yourself and convey to your colleagues and patients that you have achieved and continue to maintain the distinction of leader in the musculoskeletal health space. We invite you to become an Active Fellow of AAOS with a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (FAAOS) Membership. It is encouraged to apply early.
With an FAAOS Membership you will gain access to resources that will help you:
- Stand apart from your peers and get seen as the most qualified professional in the field by patients with credibility and distinction by using the designation of FAAOS.
- Meet and track all of your CME credit needs without the work with the AAOS Learning Portfolio, where you can take courses on topics ranging from self-assessment exams to practice prep and everywhere in between in both live and on-demand formats, all while tracking your transcripts in your dashboard, including free daily transcript transfer to ABOS as an AAOS Member.
- Gain International recognition by submitting your abstracts for Instructional Course Lectures (ICL’s), papers and posters, TechTalks, Symposia, and more at the AAOS Annual Meeting, all while attending events and hearing from experts around the world to further your practice. Also available On Demand and Virtual Experience.
- Advance your surgical specialty skills at your own pace with Orthopaedic Video Theater (OVT), where you can watch and save videos, while gaining international recognition for your own procedures with the newest feature, OVT Now, where you can submit your own orthopaedic technique videos and lectures.
- Stay current with the latest peer reviewed and clinical research, as well as commentaries and author reviews on all things musculoskeletal health with JAAOS, JAAOS Global, JAAOS Research, JAAOS CME, and on the go with the JAAOS Unplugged Podcast, available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and more.
Application Period: October 1, 2020 through May 31, 2021.
Application Fee: In order to process your application, you are required to pay a non-refundable application fee in the amount of $350.00 upon submission.
Membership Dues: 2021 Dues for Active Fellows is $1,035.00.
Membership Cycle: If accepted, your Membership dues for the 2022 Membership year are due January 1, 2022. AAOS will begin sending Membership invoices in October of 2021. Your AAOS membership runs on the calendar year, January 1 – December 31. Active Fellow Membership is a continuous Membership. Dues are automatically billed every October for the upcoming Membership cycle.
Eligibility Requirements for Active Fellow:
- Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS), the American Osteopathic Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (AOBOS), or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC).
- For three years (36 months) immediately prior to induction, devote his or her medical practice exclusively to orthopaedic surgery or engage in the teaching of orthopaedic surgery or research related to the musculoskeletal system; practices in the United States or Canada.
- Maintain a full, unrestricted, and unlimited license to practice medicine in the United States or Canada or provides evidence of full-time medical service in the federal government which does not require a medical license.
- Compliance with the AAOS Standards of Professionalism.
- You are encouraged to apply early with a completed submission of the Active Fellow Membership application during the recruitment period.
- All applications are reviewed by the Membership Council and Active Fellow status is considered pending until final approval by the AAOS Board of Directors.
- Applicants are approved and accepted as a “class” each year in October. The full application process can take 10-12 months.
- We strongly suggest having approximately 60 minutes without interruptions to complete your application. If you are unable to complete the application in one sitting, you will need to keep your browser session open to return to the form and continue.
- Before you begin your application have the following information and documents available:
- Digital head-shot photo (jpeg to upload)
- Sponsor names, practice, address and phone information (Sponsors must be Active AAOS Fellow Members)
- Certification and Practice Information
- Medical Education, Residency, and Fellowship Information
- Hospital and Teaching Affiliation(s)
- License(s) and Practice History
- Medical Society Memberships
- Curriculum Vitae (PDF to upload)
If you have any questions, contact our Customer and Member Services team or call 1.800.626.6726.