The Coding Coverage & Reimbursement Committee is comprised of slotted seats for twelve musculoskeletal specialty societies. The Committee's main purpose is to represent the interest of orthopaedics on coding and physician payment issues. The Committee manages proposals for new and revised orthopaedic Current Procedural (CPT) codes as well as providing education to orthopedists on coding and payment issues through educational coding courses, print materials, and a "hot line" service. In addition, the Committee also provides input to the American Medical Association (AMA), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and private payers on coding and payment policy issues.
The following societies have representatives on the Committee:
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons(AAHKS)
- American Orthopaedic Association(AOA)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine(AOSSM)
- American society for Surgery of the Hand(ASSH)
- Arthroscopic Association of North America(AANA)
- Association of Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons(AOFAS)
- Association of Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons(ASES)
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association(OTA)
- Musculoskeletal Tumor Society(MTS)
- North American Spine Society(NASS)
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North American(POSNA)
- Scoliosis Research Society(SRS)
The Committee also includes representatives of the AAOS Board of Councilors, AAOS representatives to the AMA CPT Editorial Panel (CPT) and AMA/Specialty Society Relative Value Scale Update Committee (RUC), General Orthopaedics and a Member-at-Large appointed by the AAOS Board of Directors.
To learn more about the efforts of the Coding Coverage & Reimbursement, see the AAOS Now article on CCRC