Brand Resource Center
Our brand differentiates the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) from others in the musculoskeletal health space. We uphold the AAOS brand in support of the mission, vision, strategic plan and core values. Our brand reinforces the AAOS as a credible, history-rich organization through consistent messaging, with a clear personality and voice through quality programs, products and services delivered.
The stylized four-letter logo of the “AAOS”—the Core Signature—represents two complementary organizations: the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons, which includes its political action committee (PAC). Together, the AAOS is the largest professional orthopaedic community in the world.
The AAOS Brand Guide (PDF) was developed to unite the varying brand characteristics of the two organizations under a single, all-encompassing approach to strengthen recognition of the AAOS vision as the trusted leaders in advancing musculoskeletal health.
“The AAOS brand is more than just our logo, a color scheme or set of visual style standards. The AAOS brand represents our staff and member values, as well as the experience we strive to deliver to our members, partners and stakeholders every single day.”
“This AAOS Brand Guide is designed to educate employees, members, media, and current and potential partners about the AAOS brand identity and how its consistent use supports the Academy’s mission to serve the orthopaedic profession to provide the highest quality musculoskeletal care.”
Thomas E. Arend, Jr., Esq., CAE
Chief Executive Officer
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
What Is Our Brand Identity?
The AAOS brand identity is the visual representation of our brand promise. A consistent application of value propositions—including sanctioned logos, formal logo lockups and graphic elements—across all programs, products, services and communications helps create greater recognition for the AAOS.
Why we exist as the AAOS:
Serving the orthopaedic profession to provide the highest quality musculoskeletal health care.
Who we want and aspire to be:
THE trusted leaders in advancing musculoskeletal health.
Our supporting behaviors:
Leading to serve. Shaping our future. Excellence together.
Additionally, AAOS staff support the organization’s core values through a shared set of employee values which include teamwork, empowerment, accountability, and a growth mindset.
The AAOS brand identity is the result of the commitment we make with our key stakeholders: members, customers, patients, partners, the public and employees. It is reinforced through the consistent application of communications designed to set expectations and establish emotional connections that our stakeholders recognize and feel when thinking of the AAOS.
Every touchpoint the AAOS has with each stakeholder group is an experience that impacts the overall brand positioning and reputation. Our stakeholders choose the AAOS because our brand reputation is meaningful and of value to them. Our brand and brand positioning supports the organization’s strategic direction.
The brand narrative is a simple articulation of the AAOS brand. It is a guide to inspire storytelling and to help craft messaging coming from the AAOS. Copy from this narrative can be adopted for specific information that needs to be conveyed, or used to ensure that the proper voice is captured.
Like the bent tree that traditionally symbolizes orthopaedics, the road to living a healthy life can twist and turn and sometimes need additional support. The tree has its brace and the road has its maps.
We all know someone who has been stopped in his or her tracks by bone, muscle or joint pain. Musculoskeletal conditions and the accompanying pain they produce can affect anyone at any time and at any age, keeping people of all ages from living, working and enjoying life.
The fact is that everyone—from children with scoliosis to patients with traumatic injuries requiring limb-saving surgery—benefits from orthopaedic expertise.
Founded in 1933, The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, which includes The Association, is the trusted leader in musculoskeletal education, resources and guidance for orthopaedic surgeons and allied health professionals across the world at all career stages. Our members are life-long learners and educators empowered to lead the way toward advancing musculoskeletal care for their patients.
Brand Themes and Voice
When articulating the AAOS brand, communications should consistently illustrate our aspiration to be the trusted leaders in advancing musculoskeletal health. Additionally, our brand is:
- Collaborative: We engage members, partners and patients where they are, and lead them with open communication and transparent decision-making, empowering and seeking input and collaboration from all people based on mutual respect and trust.
- Compassionate: The AAOS positions itself as the approachable authority on musculoskeletal health, including injury prevention and patient care.
- Conscientious: The AAOS is conscientious, respectful, thoughtful and deliberate in leading advancements in musculoskeletal health research, quality initiatives, and advocacy efforts to enable the orthopaedic profession to better serve our patients.
- Effective: We mentor and support our members to drive excellence in musculoskeletal health and to thrive in value-based environments.
- Empowering: The AAOS encourages both members and staff to develop their professional skills.
- Inclusive: As an organization, we maintain diversity as an important value and strive to represent staff and members of all races, ages, sexes, cultures and professional levels.
- Innovative: We focus on and reward research to further the orthopaedic profession and provide the most modern and efficient treatments while exploring the next frontier of musculoskeletal care.
- Proactive and Responsive: We use data and evidence to advocate for and promote quality musculoskeletal care, embrace disruptors and develop innovative products and services.
- Professional: It is important that all communications on behalf of the organization meet an appropriate level of respect when interacting with fellow employees, members and partners.
Can't find what you're looking for? Email the Branding Team or download the full AAOS Brand Guide (PDF).