Postoperative Risk Factors
Socioeconomic factors affect outcomes after surgical procedures. It is important to optimize these factors before and after surgery, especially prior to discharge
- Ensure that patients have the appropriate support in the home environment by having a team in place, such as a nurse coordinator and discharge planner.
- Provide patients with prevention programs and tips to organize homes and outdoor environments to reduce the risk of falls.
Questions to ask patients and their families:
- Is there anyone to help you at home?
- What is your home environment like?
- How many stairs do you have to get to living room/bedroom?
- Where is the bathroom located?
- How are you going to get groceries/necessary items?