Frequently Asked Questions About AAOS
How can I sign up for the AAOS Membership Auto-Renewal Program?
Members of the Academy can sign up for the Auto-Renewal program by choosing "Auto-Renew" at checkout.
By selecting Auto-Renew, you will enter our paperless billing program that automatically renews your membership every year in January.
Start enjoying the never-ending benefits of AAOS membership by registering today, or you can visit our Membership Auto-Renewal page for more details about the program.
Where can I find information on membership benefits and value?
- Under membership, Member Benefits page.
How do I become a member of the AAOS?
At the top of the page click Join AAOS or visit the Become a Member page.
How can I find out more about the FAAOS designation?
The FAAOS designation distinguishes orthopaedic surgeons from other healthcare specialists as the leaders of the musculoskeltal health team with the level of skills, training, experience and professionalism consistent with the high standards established by the AAOS.
Members of the AAOS can find additional information published on the FAAOS Designation page. For additional assistance, please contact Customer Service at (847) 823-7186 or submit your questions via our Contact Us form.
How do I update my AAOS Member Profile?
- Login to your account
- From the My Account, select Account profile
- Select the contact information or email preferences you wish to change
- Save changes
How do I view my membership account balance?
- Login to your AAOS account
- From the My Account, select Account Dashboard.
How do I pay my dues online?
- Login to your AAOS account
- Select "Pay Now"
- Check the box under "Pay Open Orders" and complete payment information
What are the requirements for becoming an Associate Candidate or an Emeritus Fellow member?
Please review the AAOS Bylaws published on our website for public consumption. Reference the appropriate membership qualification section.
Interested parties can also contact AAOS Customer Service or dial 800 626-6726 (US). Individuals calling from outside the US should call 847 823-7186.
Can the FAAOS designation also be used by Osteopathic doctors?
The Academy is currently undertaking a phased roll-out approach of the designation, which includes educating our members on Active Fellow “FAAOS” requirements. Osteopaths are in fact allowed—and encouraged—to use the FAAOS designation. Active Fellow “FAAOS” requirements are:
- Certification by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS), American Osteopathic Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (AOBOS) or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- In exclusive practice of orthopaedic surgery in the U.S. for at least 36 months (exclusive of fellowship training) immediately prior to induction
- Maintenance of a full, unrestricted, and unlimited license to practice medicine or full-time service in the federal government
- Compliance with the AAOS Standards of Professionalism
- Complete Active Fellow Member Application
- Membership Committee and AAOS Board of Director Approval of Application
The guidelines are listed on the FAAOS webpage here. Feel free to use the designation wherever appropriate in your day-to-day interactions with peers, colleagues, and patients.