Patient Safety Committee
Support development, validation, and dissemination of culture and processes that improve orthopaedic surgical safety and inform Academy policy with regard to these issues.
- Align all activities to support execution and achievement of the mission, vision, goals, strategic objectives and metrics of the Strategic Plan and conduct all business in accordance with the Core Values as adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Provide expertise regarding product/drug withdrawals, FDA alerts, CDC reports, etc.
- Develop Safety/Communications questions for OITE and SAE.
- Write regular Safety/Communication articles for AAOS Now.
- Coordinate safety campaigns with the Communications Cabinet and Public Relations.
- Contribute to patient oriented material through OrthoInfo.org
- Collaborate with BOS/BOC and other AAOS teams to advance quality and safety
- Propose new and manage existing Safety Position and Information Statements
- Collaborate with the Evidence-based Quality and Value and Performance Measures Committees
- Collaborate with other perioperative and safety organizations.
- Develop patient safety tools (toolkits, apps, etc.) that aid in establishing a culture of safety.
- Develop and maintain a safety curriculum posted online and adaptable to a variety of applications.
Council on Research and Quality
Six (6) Members-at-Large
Board of Specialty Societies Liaison
Section Leader - Section on Safety Education (Serves as Liaison to Council on Education)
Liaison from the Communications Cabinet
Two (2) CSMP Members
Two (2) TeamSTEPPS Members
One (1) Resident
Term of Office
For chair, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For members-at-large, two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
Staff Liaison (title)
Lead Orthopaedic Safety Specialist