Support the AAOS strategic plan by advising on the development and implementation of communications programs designed to enhance the image of the orthopaedic surgeon’s role in the highest quality of musculoskeletal patient care and to engage members of the Academy at all stages of their careers. In serving our members, continue to provide the AAOS governance units and membership with communications, public and media relations expertise.
- Align all activities to support execution and achievement of the mission, vision, goals, strategic objectives and metrics of the Strategic Plan and conduct all business in accordance with the Core Values as adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Serve as a strategic soundboard for all AAOS communications, public and media relations initiatives including medical accuracy oversight, key message development, review and approval.
- Oversee support for and contribute to any public-facing, media relations, social media or member communications project that enhances the image of orthopaedic surgeons and our profession.
- Participate in a media training session, and potentially serve as a spokesperson representing the AAOS brand.
- Represent marketing and communications issues of Academy members and serve in an advisory role to inform the group of opportunities or threats to the reputation of MSK health.
- Review journal and annual meeting abstracts to determine newsworthiness for a consumer audience to help shape a media program to help promote the AAOS Annual Meeting to external audiences.
- Review Humanitarian Award entries and evaluate nominations.
- Review media award entries and evaluate nominations.
- Monitor AAOS communications vehicles and better understand and contribute to the content pipeline and anticipate needs from member and patient perspective, including AAOS Now and OrthoInfo.org and the Social Media Taskforce.
- Maintain oversight of communications campaigns and programs that position orthopaedic surgeons as the trusted leaders in advancing musculoskeletal health and contribute accordingly.
Reports to the Membership Council.
Five (5) Member-at-Large
Social Media Taskforce Representative
AAOS Now Editor or AAOS Now Deputy Editor
Term of Office
For chair two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
For members two (2) years; eligible for one (1) additional two (2) year term.
Staff Liaison (title)
Last updated: 2/19/20